Why should I open an online store?
Online retail is capturing more and more market share. It is tempting to consider opening your own online store - especially since you can reach potential buyers all over the world. There are many convincing reasons to start, such as:
- Online retail sales have more than tripled in the last 10 years
- It is becoming increasingly easy to pay online with payment options such as PayPal or Google Pay.
- More and more people will continue to shop online because it is more economical, time-saving and convenient.
Create your own online store: This is how it works!
- Choose the right store software
If you want to create an online store, you should think long-term. Therefore, it makes sense to choose a professional store system right from the start. This usually means higher start-up costs, but the advantages outweigh the costs due to customizable design, a large selection of payment methods, and the possibility to individualize many functions. It is fundamental, however, to have certain technical know-how, since professional store software can be quite complex. If such expertise is missing, it would be advisable to seek the support of professionals at least for the installation and setup of the store.
- Find the right product to market
The focus of your store is ultimately the products, so it is advisable to have at least an approximate plan regarding product type and quantity. It is important to proactively search for ideas to find the right product to market. The web offers a variety of options and inspiration, but it can be difficult to find the optimal product in the crowd. Find out about consumer trends online and search online marketplaces and portals.
- Select different payment methods for your online store
There are a large number of payment options such as direct debit, PayPal, credit card payment, bank transfer, invoice, cash on delivery, and installment payment, among others. Your customers will appreciate being able to choose between different payment methods and use their preferred option.
- Inform yourself about necessary security features that need to be installed
Website security describes all online security measures that can protect a site and its users from malicious attacks. A secure webpage is therefore not only protected on the server-side, but also in its communication with the user's browser. Every website is vulnerable – but there are several measures you can take to protect yourself, such as:
- SSL encryption
- Automatic and regular backups
- Guaranteed website availability (SLA)
Tips to stand out
- Offer exclusive products. What might your customers miss about the competitor's product? Do it better!
- Excite your visitors with great usability and user experience.
- Convince customers in your store with customer-oriented product descriptions.
- Set up a blog and publish articles with real added value
- Be present in social networks, reach out to customers, be open and interactive
E-commerce is a constantly growing market, increasing the importance of online marketing and trading. In order to successfully implementing an online store, there are many factors to consider, such as determining your business model, reaching out to professionals for the technical know-how, and thinking about the shop features you want to offer.